Saturday, September 5, 2009

Time to Step Up

I passed my toughest challenge thus far and earned myself a post in the main committee in a 2nd tier club in NTU.
I secured the post of Event Director in NTU Buddhist Society (NTUBS). Hurrah!
I was so nervous on the day itself, not forgetting how this has been affecting me the whole week actually. Had many extremely late nights coz I was finding more information to support my future plans, which turned out to be not necessary for the rally (but essential in my upcoming days as ED).

Brainstormed for ideas and my speech..
Brainstormed for aspirations to go in accordance to the objectives of NTUBS.
Brainstormed, brainstormed..

Asked around for opinions, asked Jackson (thanks so much for your help, thou I noe u wont be reading this, ekeke..)
Asked Neilson (past ED), he was very helpful, willing to share his experience and knowledge with me.
Rehearsed with Neilson and 7 other candidates in Hall 5 TV room (very nice place with aircond^^) on Thurs night, the night before the rally day..
That's half of the candidates running for the main comm actually. But me being the only 1st year to be selected to run for main comm. So, ya, it's a big thing.. Actually, I was taken aback too..
Learnt alot from the rehearsal, identified many missing crucial components such as aspirations and future plans.
So, went back and did my homework, googled for more information. Came across some interesting information but not enough.
It was already 4am, have to sleep.. Have to rest myself..

Survived in Macro tutorial, but failed to do so in Programming lectures. Was unable to concentrate, not going in, so I decided to take off during the break..
Ya, my 1st time playing truant in NTU. I feel awful!! But instead of unable to concentrate, I thought it'd be better for me to google more info in Lee Wee Nam library.
So, I did. Then, met up with Neilson. He told me some of my ideas isn't so practical due to the restrictions set by NTU on NTUBS. Helpful piece of info.
Then, he showed me a nice study place in South Spine. Neh, I'm not revealing.. Neh neh neh neh neh.. Haha..
I stayed there as he took off to his class.
Then, Jackson came and we "chui sui".. Yes, wasting time but it was very good to distract me from the tension. Calmed me down a whole lot.

Then, went to MAS111. I intentionally did not print the notes coz felt it was redundant. Plus, my cashcard is low on credit..
Yup, I was right coz he didn't fin the previous lecture. Erm, actually I didn't listen to him, not even one bit. But this time is not due to the lack of concentration. It's plainly bcoz it's "him", the lecturer..
Asked the CNYang scholars when I didn't understand certain part as I went through the solutions on my own. It was ok. MAS111 isn't that bad after all.. Or maybe it isn't that bad, YET..

Anyway, fast forward to the rally. Very nervous, cold. Just before my turn when David was giving his speech, I suddenly shiver in cold or it was probably due to the anxiety - I don't know.
Thank god I didn't go blank when it was my turn. I think I did pretty well.
Speech was ok, didn't forget the speech I prepared.
Q&A.. Probably you can say I was saved by the last year's committee coz alumni didn't get the chance to shoot me with difficult questions.
But the first question, my heart sank..
He asked me about Investiture - the upcoming event to be organised by me in less than 2 weeks time. I was asked what activities I could organise to benefit the members.
Oh, gosh.. Thank god I prepared, read about Investiture, so my answer was Dharma talk by the Venerable..
2nd ques: What difference are the events organised by the Event Team from those organised by the Dharma and Metta Team.
My answer was not much difference bcoz our activities are carried in accordance to NTUBS objectives. But Event Team has more flexibility in the events to be carried out. I also touched on the formal activities I will be organising - Investiture, NTUBS anniversary and Wesak Day.

I thought I did pretty well and I was told I prepared well and did well. Hehe, and of course, I passed^^
Relieved....................

For 2 reasons.
1st, I got the post..
2nd, I'm guarenteed a hostel next year! I was searching for 5 points so pitifully and now I have 7points^^ More than what is needed and I don't have to share with Singaporean;)

Actually, on Wed, I put my hostel on the line. I withdrew from another rally - Logistics for Visual Arts Society (VAS).
I would have automatically secured 5 points if I rallied. No Q&A session and impossible to lose.

Why did I withdraw? Coz I prefer NTUBS to VAS and if I got 2 main comm posts in these two clubs, I'm really concerned on my time management skills.
And I really don't like the idea of having to choose between NTUBS and VAS. It is too unfair for both clubs who chose me for they believed in me.
So, I decided to withdraw from VAS.
Fortunately I made it in NTUBS or else I'm back to square one, no points!
So, it was a gamble worth all the risk and anxiety.
Through this rally, I learnt alot. And I noe the journey has only just begun.

Now, I have 2 events coming up in 2 weeks.
1st: Investiture in NTUBS, led by me. I hope I won't disappoint, I hope I'll do a good job and establish myself as a worthy Event Director.
2nd: Mid Autumn Festival in MSA. I'm not the leader, but one of the comm, so I hope I can juggle these two well.

Wish me luck as I'm stepping one up in my life!
Choosing NTU as my destination was not plainly for the high quality of education but to enrich my experience in leadership.
Given such a golden opportunity, I really don't want to waste it and disappoint those who chose me, had faith in me.
I will have more faith and confidence in myself and work harder!

1 comment: